June 25, 2003

The Private Intrigue of Melancholy
--- by James Tate

Hotels, hospitals, jails
are homes in yourself you return to
as some do to Garbo movies.

Cities become personal,
particular buildings and addresses:
fallen down every staircase
someone lies dead.

Then the music comes from the windows
writes a lovenote-summons on the air.
And you're infested with angels.

Some People
--- by Charles Bukowski

some people never go crazy.
me, sometimes I'll lie down behind the couch
for 3 or 4 days.
they'll find me there.
it's Cherub, they'll say, and
they pour wine down my throat
rub my chest
sprinkle me with oils.

then, I'll rise with a roar,
rant, rage -
curse them and the universe
as I send them scattering over the lawn.
I'll feel much better,
sit down to toast and eggs,
hum a little tune,
suddenly become as lovable as a
pink overfed whale.

some people never go crazy.
what truly horrible lives
they must lead.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home