February 6, 2004

Crowds of people standing everywhere And here they always play my song

From an Arthur Lee article in the Guardian.

Lee, on Charlie Parker:

"I've always really liked jazz, and when I was a teenager, I used to paint on moustaches so that I could go and see people like John Coltrane and Elvin Jones play live, and I thought those guys were the shit until I heard Charlie Parker. There is no comparison between his saxophone playing and any other musician who has played or is playing today. His talent was so incredible that it was a shame he had to live and die in the way that he did, but everybody has hard times. It is the creativity and the musicianship that counts, and that's what we'll remember people by. Not the hard times."

* The Land-Grant College Review, which is about to publish Issue Number 2, is running a special February Madness promotion you might want to know about. This month only, when you subscribe to the Land-Grant College Review or buy one of their handsome, all cotton, barn-burning T-shirts, you'll receive a free copy of the CD Charm School, by Bishop Allen. Bishop Allen is a band that has played some of the LGCR events, and they're loads of fun--the music is pop quirkiness at its best.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home