March 23, 2004

I'll never be a rock and roll saint

* H.L. Mencken said:

- "Freedom of press is limited to those who own one."

- "Faith may be defined briefly as an illogical belief in the occurrence of the improbable."

- "A man full of faith is simply one who has lost (or never had) the capacity for clear and realistic thought. He is not a mere ass; he is actually ill. Worse, he is incurable."

- "In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for. As for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican."

* A poem by David Lehman:

Every so often my father comes over
for a visit he hangs his overcoat and hat
on my hat rack I brief him on recent
developments and serve us coffee
he is surprised that I like to cook
once when he made an omelette
he flipped it in the air much to my delight
and it landed on the floor yes that
was the summer of 1952, he remembered
the high breakers and how fearless
I was running into the ocean anyway
the important thing is to see you doing
so well he said and took his coat and hat
and left before I remembered he was dead

In memory of William R. Fox, July 12, 1944 - March 23, 2002


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home