June 28, 2004

My Fender is just a painted board And if I light it on fire I become such a fucking bore

* The Gothamist interviews Hal Hartley. excerpt:

Q: Please share a personal (and hopefully interesting) NYC taxi story.
A: An old Chinese woman taxi driver explaining why legalized prostitution would be good for the city.

Q: Time travel question: What era, day or event in New York's history would you like to re-live?
A: I would like to be my current age in the mid to late seventies. I came to New York a number of times then but I was too young to know what was happening.

Q: Best celebrity sighting in New York, or personal experience with one if you're that type.
A: Being an apprentice iron-worker one summer in the early eighties and eating my lunch on the sidewalk beside my older brother. Andy Warhol comes around the corner, stops and checks the time on his watch, and moves on.

Q: Where do you summer?
A: In my apartment.

Q: If you could change one thing about New York, what would it be?
A: Car alarms would be outlawed.

* Why some music sounds better.

* Washington CityPaper (and the dust congress) recommends tonight's Bobby Bare Jr. show:

"Rock 'n' roll has never lacked for cocaine inspiration: Sabbath's Volume 4, the Eagles' Hotel California, the Mac's gold-dusted Tusk. There sure are some lameass renditions of songs about the white stuff, though. I for one would rather crawl out a 53rd-story window than have to poison my earhole with Slowhand's mangling of J.J. Cale's blue-flake ode. But Bobby Bare Jr.'s new 'The Terrible Sunrise' might be the best of the genre: 'The sunrise ain't pretty when you ain't been to bed/And tomorrow is today instead..../The devil has crawled inside your nose.' It's a worthy successor to Johnny Cash's version of 'Cocaine Blues.' Bare's From the End of Your Leash is full of great songs about drinking and heartbreak as well, and we can blame his upbringing for that. His daddy was no slouch as a songwriter, and Junior was raised in Nashville among such Outlaw Country royalty as Waylon Jennings—and we all know he was no stranger to the lure of the line. Bare plays with Tom Heinl at 8:30 p.m. at the Iota Club & Cafe, 2832 Wilson Blvd., Arlington. $10." See you there?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home