March 9, 2007

I might sleep through the technology preview


The Caribbean, DC9, Washington, D.C. November 2005

The Caribbean is motoring towards Austin for SXSW, and will be playing shows on the way. Be sure to check them out:

-- Saturday, March 10, 2007: Swanson Reed Contemporary (w/Shedding, Nick Butcher), Louisville, KY

-- Sunday, March 11, 2007: Ruby Green Gallery, (w/Shedding, Nick Butcher, Deluxin {members of Be Your Own Pet}), Nashville, TN

-- Monday, March 12, 2007: White Water Tavern (w/Shedding, Nick Butcher, Slaraffenland, American Princes), Little Rock, AR

-- Wednesday, March 14, 2007: SXSW (Hometapes Showcase), Austin, TX

The World and I
-- by Laura Riding

This is not exactly what I mean
Any more than the sun is the sun,
But how to mean more closely
If the sun shines but approximately?
What a world of awkwardness!
What hostile implements of sense!
Perhaps this is as close a meaning
As perhaps becomes such knowing.
Else I think the world and I
Must live together as strangers and die--
A sour love, each doubtful whether
Was ever a thing to love the other.
No, better for both to be nearly sure
Each of each--exactly where
Exactly I and exactly the world
Fail to meet by a moment, and a word.

Child on Top of a Greenhouse
-- by Theodore Roethke

The wind billowing out the seat of my britches,
My feet crackling splinters of glass and dried putty,
The half-grown chrysanthemums staring up like accusers,
Up through the streaked glass, flashing with sunlight,
A few white clouds all rushing eastward,
A line of elms plunging and tossing like horses,
And everyone, everyone pointing up and shouting!

Blue Song
-- by Tennessee Williams

I am tired
I am tired of speech and of action
If you should meet me upon a
street do not question me for
I can tell you only my name
and the name of the town I was
born in. But that is enough
It does not matter whether tomorrow
arrives anymore. If there is
only this night and after it is
morning it will not matter now.
I am tired. I am tired of speech
and of action. In the heart of me
you will find a tiny handful of
dust. Take it and blow it out
upon the wind. Let the wind have
it and it will find its way home.

backstory:

An unknown poem by famed playwright Tennessee Williams was a fortuitous find for Henry I. Schvey, Ph.D., professor and chair of the Performing Arts Department in Arts & Sciences (at Washington University of St. Louis). In 2004 in a bookstore in New Orleans, Schvey found the 17-line poem penciled into the back of a blue examination booklet Williams used for a Greek final as a student at WUSTL in 1937.

"It is clearly the work of a young man who doesn't know his next move in life," Schvey said of the poem. Schvey's find also was fortuitous for Williams' fans, who otherwise might never have known of its existence. Titled "Blue Song," the long-
lost work had never been published" and possibly never read until The New Yorker magazine ran it in December. The blue book now is part of the University Libraries Department of Special Collections.

1 Comments:

Blogger Allan Smitheel said...

glad you got your archives up again.

going to add back your links or stay minimal??

regards

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home