August 21, 2007

In the waking hours of some not too distant morning
you come walking barefoot to this cowl pulled mind
selling yesterday's dreams wrapped in tomorrow's paper
whistling for a dog named kindness that you'll never find



Cara Ober, All The Same

Cara Ober's art is currently on display at Baltimore's
Gallery Imperato. The exhibition, which runs until September 22, 2007 also features work by Tung Lo. The opening reception is this Friday, August 24, 2007 at the gallery from 7-10. Ober also blogs at bmoreart; additional information can be found here.


* From a 1998 Interview of Dieter Dengler:

indieWIRE: How did you and Werner Herzog meet?

Dieter Dengler: He called me at home in San Francisco, and explained to me very briefly his idea to do a movie about my life. I had never heard of him before, so I was like "Who the heck is he?". I said to him, 'You want to talk to me, come on over.' So a couple of weeks later he's standing in front of my door with a movie crew, about 8 or 10 people, with cameras and boxes and all this stuff, and I said 'What's this all about?' And he said 'Well, you said to come on over...' We started to make the film in German, and Werner said, 'Why don't we make it in English as well?' But this was difficult, because Werner is hard to work with sometimes.
...
iW: Were you at all nervous about going to film in the jungle with Herzog, having heard stories about his and Klaus Kinski's legendary battles on movies like 'Aguirre, the Wrath of God' and 'Fitzcaraldo?'

Dengler: No, because I knew from the beginning that I had one up on Werner, because I'm more familiar with the jungle. He likes to act like he knows all about animals and bugs, but this is my territory.

iW: Kinski wrote of Herzog during the filming of 'Aguirre:' 'He should be thrown alive to the crocodiles! An anaconda should strangle him slowly! Huge red ants should piss into his lying eyes and gobble up his balls!' Did you ever feel like that while making this movie?

Dengler: (laughs) No, no, no. We didn't have time for that. We were only there for a few days.

iW: How was it doing the reenactments in the film? [In Thailand, Herzog filmed Dengler running around in the jungle with his arms bound behind his back while telling the story of his capture, imprisonment and escape.]

Dengler: I saw 'Miss Saigon' (the musical) this afternoon, and tears were running down my face, because it was so real to me - what happened to the GI's, and the girls and the children who were left behind, things I actually witnessed - and that was in a Broadway theater! And so when we were running around in the jungle for this movie, and I'm all tied up with four or five Thais following me with rifles, I said, 'Jesus, Werner, this is too close for comfort! I really don't like this!' And Werner would say 'That's exactly what I want you to say!' But it was a positive experience.

iW: What was it like seeing the film for the first time with an audience?

Dengler: Oh God, Telluride! Last year I was having dinner with Werner, and I said 'I'll call you next week." And he said "I won't be here.' And I said, 'Where're you going?' And he said, 'Telluride.' I said, 'What's in Telluride?' He said, 'They're going to show your film.' I said, 'MY FILM?! You don't even tell me about it?!' He said, 'I forgot.' I couldn't even get a flight, so I jumped in my little airplane and flew out there, but I couldn't get a room and had to sleep in my plane. Next thing I know 500 people are clapping and asking me questions - which is the fun part!

* Poor Captain Dan. excerpt:

"A dwarf performer at the Edinburgh fringe festival had to be rushed to hospital after his penis got stuck to a vacuum cleaner during an act that went horribly awry.

"Daniel Blackner, or 'Captain Dan the Demon Dwarf,' was due to perform at the Circus of Horrors at the festival known for its oddball, offbeat performances.

"The main part of his act saw him appear on stage with a vacuum cleaner attached to his member through a special attachment.

"The attachment broke before the performance and Blackner tried to fix it using extra-strong glue, but unfortunately only let it dry for 20 seconds instead of the 20 minutes required.

"He then joined it directly to his organ. The end result? A solid attachment, laughter, mortification and ... hospitalisation.

"'It was the most embarrassing moment of my life when I got wheeled into a packed AE with a vacuum attached to me,' Blackner said."

* "Typos are very important to all written form. It gives the reader something to look for so they aren't distracted by the total lack of content in your writing." -- Randy K. Milholland

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home