September 7, 2007

say a prayer
for you and me
say a prayer
tell me do you miss me



Otto Dix, The Nun, 1914

Alone
-- Deborah Ager

Over the fence, the dead settle in
for a journey. Nine o'clock.
You are alone for the first time
today. Boys asleep. Husband out.

A beer bottle sweats in your hand,
and sea lavender clogs the air
with perfume. Think of yourself.
Your arms rest with nothing to do

after weeks spent attending to others.
Your thoughts turn to whether
butter will last the week, how much
longer the car can run on its partial tank of gas.


The Tortoise In Keystone Heights
-- Deborah Ager

When I knew, it was raining.
Winter in decline. I was tired.
You in your soaked shirt diffused
into the western sky bulging with clouds,
speeding cars a few feet away—
why would they not slow down?

Though afternoon, a slip of moon
busied itself with rising,
and it had to mean something.
If only the moon were not out.
You shoveled the crushed tortoise
and her eggs off the highway into the dirt.

Those soft, white eggs.
This is how I love you:
drenched with Florida rain
and looking like hell,
Florida itself a hell,
the moonlit rain a rain of fire.

Bayonet
-- Anne Sexton

What can I do with this bayonet?
Make a rose bush of it?
Poke it into the moon?
Shave my legs with its silver?
Spear a goldfish?
No. No.

It was made
in my dream
for you.
My eyes were closed.
I was curled fetally
and yet I held a bayonet
that was for the earth of your stomach.
The belly button singing its puzzle.
The intestines winding like alpine roads.
It was made to enter you
as you have entered me
and to cut the daylight into you
and let out your buried heartland,
to let out the spoon you have fed me with,
to let out the bird that said fuck you,
to carve him onto a sculpture until he is white
and I could put him on a shelf,
an object unthinking as a stone,
but with all the vibrations
of a crucifix.



-- off to Amsterdam and Brussels, back September 17.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

All these are so good! I particularly like The Tortoise. Thanks for sharing.

3:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing my poems. I love that Bayonet poem. Did you see that on my blog, or is it a coincidence?

Deborah at http://blog.32poems.com

11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home