December 21, 2007

On the twelfth day of Christmas the Bushies gave to me
Twelve investigations
Eleven indictments
Ten subpoenas
Nine closet cases
Eight years a-wasting
Seven scandals stewing
Six rogues resigning
Five trillion spent
Four lawyers lying
Three tax cuts
Two chickenhawks
And a war from the GOP
#



Edward Corbett, Washington, D.C., October #8, 1964

Christmas Morning Without Presents: The Depression, Granite City, Illinois
-- by Ellery Akers

It is 1929. The moon falls on the floor,
the pantry is empty, beans hardening like rocks in the
cans.
No, you did not expect this.
The same cracked wall with its stains,
odor of your mother's cleaning fluid,
curtains with their clean hems,
blowing in and out.
You touch the bones and lumps of the chair,
the broken wireless with its dial, you pick up a spoon,
and it's cold. A clock ticks. The chipped plates
fill up with the moon.
You look back at the window,
tubes and vats of the factories
quiet for once.
The garbage truck rolls up the alley,
the bristles of the streetcleaner's brush rasp on the
pavement.
Your hand closes on the doorknob, quietly.
You begin to carry the stone of your childhood:
The moon. The empty room. It will be yours.


Anti-War Poem
-- by Ted Berrigan

(for Robert Harris)

It's New Year's Eve, of 1968 & a time
for Resolution.

I don't like Engelbert Humperdink.

I love the incredible String Band.

The War goes on
& war is Shit.

I'll sing you a December song.

It's 5 below zero in Iowa City tonight.

This year I found a warm room
I could go to
be alone in
& never have to fight.

I didn't live in it.

I thought a lot about dying
But I said fuck it.


I Live in the Twentieth Century
-- by Richard Brautigan

I live in the Twentieth Century
and you lie here beside me. You
were unhappy when you fell asleep.
There was nothing I could do about
it. I felt hopeless. Your face
is so beautiful that I cannot stop
to describe it, and there's nothing
I can do to make you happy while
you sleep.

Tale
-- by Frank Stanford

The maid used to pull the drapes
So I could see dust

When it didn't rain
I bought gum and worked in the boat
There was a locked up shack down the road
With a stack of records in the bedroom

We could tell when strangers were around
From what they drank

The girls waited in the orchards
There was no need to lie

* Frank Zappa was born today. RIP!

-- # by skimble

-- back in 2008

2 Comments:

Blogger Iburiedpaul said...

WAR IS OVER IF YOU WANT IT

10:51 AM  
Blogger B.more.Art said...

i heart richard brautigan. thanks for reminding me.

- cara ober

10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home