September 8, 2009

can you feel the darkness shining through
what are you gonna do
why can't you
move yourself like other people do



Arthur Siegel, RCA Building, ca. 1940–49

In Siegel’s RCA Building, the company’s acronym forms a lone referential anchor in a blurred field of light-smeared architectonics. Siegel’s extended exposure charges an otherwise straightforward cityscape with an air of brooding, miragelike menace.

* From a 1993 interview of David Foster Wallace, originally published in Whiskey Island, the literary magazine of Cleveland State University:

"There are a few books I have read that I've never been the same after, and I think all good writing somehow address the concern of and acts as an anodyne against loneliness. We're all terribly, terribly lonely. And there's a way, at least in prose fiction, that can allow you to be intimate with the world and with a mind and with characters that you just can't be in the real world. I don't know what you're thinking. I don't that know that much about you as I don't know that much about my parents or my lover or my sister, but a piece of fiction that's really true allows you to be intimate with ... I don't want to say people, but it allows you to be intimate with a world that resembles our own in enough emotional particulars so that the way different things must feel is carried out with into the real world. I think what I would like my stuff to do is make people less lonely."

and:

"This is a long haul. Writing is a long haul. I'm hoping that none of the stuff that I've done so far is anywhere close to the best stuff I can do. Let's hope we're not fifty-five and doing the same thing. I'd say avoid burning out. You can burn out by struggling in privation and neglect for many years, but you can also burn out if you're given a little bit of attention. People come to your hotel room and think you have interesting things to say. You can allow that to make you start to think that you can't say anything unless it's interesting."

* Marjorie Perloff: The Music of Verbal Space: John Cage's "What You Say".

* Two for Tuesday:

-- Love, The Brian Jonestown Massacre

-- The Postman, The American Analog Set

* "I'm not concerned about all hell breaking loose, but that a PART of hell will break loose... it'll be much harder to detect." -- George Carlin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home