September 14, 2011

Here's your money back
Here's your punk rock band



Tomma Abts, Mehm, 2005

Warnings
-- by Nicanor Parra

No praying allowed, no sneezing.
No spitting, eulogizing, kneeling.
Worshipping, howling, expectorating.

No sleeping permitted in this precinct
No inoculating, talking, excommunicating
Harmonizing, escaping, catching.

Running is absolutely forbidden.

No smoking. No fucking.


Sentences
-- by Nicanor Parra

Let's not fool ourselves
The automobile is a wheelchair
A lion is made of lambs
Poets have no biographies
Death is a collective habit
Children are born to be happy
Reality has a tendency to fade away
Fucking is a diabolical act
God is a good friend to the poor


I Take Back Everything I’ve Said
-- by Nicanor Parra

Before I go
I’m supposed to get a last wish:
Generous reader
burn this book
It’s not at all what I wanted to say
Though it was written in blood
It’s not what I wanted to say.
No lot could be sadder than mine
I was defeated by my own shadow:
My words took vengeance on me.
Forgive me, reader, good reader
If I cannot leave you
With a warm embrace, I leave you
With a forced and sad smile.
Maybe that’s all I am
But listen to my last word:
I take back everything I’ve said.
With the greatest bitterness in the world
I take back everything I’ve said.


---- all three poems translated by Miller Williams

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home